MINERAL MUSEUMS AND VISITING MINES IN SWEDEN
A link to a general presentation to most of the larger museums and visiting mines is presented here. Most of the information is given in Swedish when you connect to the local home page. To help you in your search a brief translation is given below.
- A complete index of all Museums in Sweden in Swedish.
- Another collection Swedish museums in Swedish.
Last update January 2010.
- Amber Museum
- Aitik Copper Mine, Gallivare
- Rock Museum in Sandviken
- Bastnäs field * External link.
- Bergrum Boliden, Boliden / Rock Room Boliden
- Bergslagens Mineral Museum * External link.
- Blackdiamonds, Gällivare. * External link.
- Café Tunet & Alno Folk Museum
- Chalmers Polytechnics in Goteborg / Gothenburg
- Dannemora mines. * External link.
- The Prehistoric World, Umea (fossils)
- Ecology Museum of Bergslagen
- Falu coppermine, Falun
- Flogbergets Mines. * External link.
- Geological Museum, Borlänge
- Geological Museum, Sagen, Vansbro
- Geological safari, Vetlanda
- Gotlands Naturmuseum / Nature Museum of Gotland
- Grängesbergs Mining Museum. * External link.
- Göteborgs Naturhistoriska Museum. External link.
- Caves in Sundsvall
- Mining museum in Malmberget
- Gold panning in Örträsk
- Högbo Bergartsmuseum
- Klackbergs mining field . * External link.
- Klenshyttan. * External link.
- Kopparberg Geomuseum. * External link.
- Kopparverket. * External link.
- Leveäniemi Mine, Svappavaara.
- Lienshytte masugn . * External link.
- LKAB Mine, Kiruna
- Langban mines and Langbans Mining village.
- Ludvika Gammelgård och Mining Museum . * External link.
- Lummelundagrottan. * External link.
- Mineral museum in Ludvika
- Naturhistoriska museum in Göteborg
- Naturhistoriska Riksmuseet in Stockholm (Museum of Natural History)
- Norberg mining museum in Norberg
- Paleontologiska Museum
- Porphyry Muesum in Alvdalen (Porfyrmuseet i Älvdalen)
- Rute hembygdsmuseum. * External link.
- Sala Silver Mine.
- Stollbergs Mines * External link.
- Svinryggens Mines. * External link.
- Rock gallery in Risinge
- Åreskutan (Åreskutan)
- Ädelfors Mining Museum. * External link.
- Ädelfors Mining- och Mineral Museum. * External link.
- Alvsborg's Province Museum (Älvsborg Länsmuseum)
Aitik Copper Mine in Gallivare/Malmberget.
In Gallivare/Malmberget the Aitik mine is open for visitors, probably the largest open pit copper mine in Europe and the largest gold mine in Sweden. For information phone the Gallivare Tourist information center. Phone: +46(0)970-166 60.
Amber Museum in Kampinge
Bergartsmuseet & Rock Museum in Sandviken
The Mining Museum of Boliden.
- Open may 25th till August 17th between 11 a.m. - 6 p.m. For information call +46(0)910 - 600 60.
- This is actually not a museum, it's a time machine with you in control. A gigantic, 92 meter long measuring - tape follows you through the earths 4600 million years. Mineral specimens from several local mines are on display.
Cafe Tunet & Alno Hembygdsgard / Cafe Tunet and Alno Folk Museum
- The old church yard in Alno Island.
- You will find a small but very good presentation of the geology of the Alno Island and its minerals. Well known for its rare alkaline rocks and minerals.
- For information phone: +46(0)60 - 58 54 26 or 53 76 35.
Chalmers Tekniska Hogskola in Göteborg / Chalmers Polytechnics
- Chalmers Polytechnics has a small collection of minerals in a corridor.
- The address is Sven Hultins gata 6 (Arkitektavd, Vag & vatten).
- Geovetarcentrum (University of Gothenburg), Guldhedsgatan 5A, has also several mineral showcases in a corridors that are better then Chalmers and a library that can be used if you get in touch with the librarian.
Den forhistoriska varlden, Umea / The Prehistoric World, Umea (fossils)
- A fairly new and small showroom of fossils and dino bones.
- The address is: Vallmovagen 61. About 200 meters walking distance from the Nolia exhibition hall area.
- Phone: +46(0)90 - 13 83 68 or 13 84 66 before you plan a visit.
Ekomuseum Bergslagen / Ecology Museum of Bergslagen
Falu copper mine.
- For opening hours and other visiting information go to the Falu copper mine webpage.
- For a presentation in English go through the door
Geological Museum of Borlänge.
- Borganäsvägen 19, Borlange. Phone: +46(0)243 - 21 10 92.
- The largest mineral collection in Sweden open for the public with minerals from Sweden and elsewhere.
- Organizer: Tunabygdens Geological Society.
Geological Museum in Vansbro.
- Sagen, Vansbro, Dalarna. Rocks, minerals and fossils.
- The village Sagen is about 3 miles south of Vansbro on Road 64.
- Open the summer months of June - August.
- Open daily: Monday - Friday 11 a.m. - 5 p.m. and Saturday 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- For other times of the day or time of the year phone:+46(0)281 - 500 12 or (0)281-500 75.
- Organizer: Vasterdalarnas Geologiska Forening, VGF.
Geological Safaris, Vetlanda.
- 3-5 days long mineral field excursions combined with lectures.
- Organizer geologist Karl-Eric Hagstrom.
- Information and booking: Info-Tourism Vetlanda, Box 53, 574 21 Vetlanda. Phone: +46(0)383 - 974 14
- Visiting address: Stadshuset. (Town Hall)
Gotlands Naturmuseum / Nature Museum of Gotland
- For the public: Tuesday - Wednesday 12 a.m.-16 p.m.
- From May 15th: daily 11 a.m. - 18 p.m.
- Information and booking:
- Weekdays 8 a.m.-16 p.m. (closed lunchtime 12 a.m.-1 p.m.)
- Phone: +46(0)498-24 70 95
- Fax: +46(0)498-24 83 62
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Grottor i Sundsvall / Caves in the Sundsvall area
- This link will present information in Swedish about caves in the Sundsvall area. How to find the following caves with maps: Midskogsberget, Omsberget, Norra berget and Sodra berget.
- Organizer: Sveriges Speleology Forbund (International Union of Speleology)
Mining Museum in Malmberget.
- This is the LKAB mining museum on the top of the old open pit mine.
- You will see a good collection of minerals and 250 years of mining history.
- For additional information phone: +46(0)970 - 713 37
Guldvaskning i Örträsk / Gold Panning in Ortrask
- Here you can learn the basics of gold panning, how to recognize the gold from other similar minerals and where you can find gold.
- For information get in touch by e-mail with Mikael Eklund or go the website.
Högsbo Bergartsmuseum / Hogsbo Rock Museum
- An exciting collection of minerals and rocks from the Bergslagen area.
- Open daily, May- September.
- For additional information and opening hours phone: +46(0)26 - 24 54 00.
Leveäniemi Mine, Svappavaara.
- Visiting and mineral collecting mine on a fee basis.
- This mine is well known for its iron phosphate minerals such as strengite, beraunite, rockbridgeite and a number of different zeolites.
- For information get in touch with Mr. Dennis Holmberg, Tallplan 4K, 981 42 Kiruna.
- Phone: +46(0)980 - 193 02
LKAB Mine, Kiruna.
- The LKAB Mine is the largest and most modern underground iron mine in the World.
- Guided tour is arranged to the underground roads 800 meters below the surface.
- Information Gällivare Tourist Information Center phone: +46(0)970 - 166 60.
Langbans Mines and Langbans Mining Village.
- Address: Langban, 15 km north of Filipstad.
- Information phone: +46(0)590 - 221 15 or 221 81
- Open:June 6th - August 28th, daily 10 a.m.- 18 p.m.
- 4 tours every day with a guide.
- 3 different exhibitions (of which one is about Langban Minerals).
- The Mining Village tour starts at 11 a.m. and 2.30 p.m. and the tour to the blast furnace at 13 p.m. and 16 p.m.
- Why not also visit the Langbans Inn with excellent food, open daily 12 a.m.-17 p.m.
Mineral Museum in Ludvika.
- Vasterbergslagens Geological Society, that was established in 1989, has now a permanent Mineral Museum in Ludvika.
- You will find it at the so called "Ladugarden" and the exhibition is open daily between 11 a.m.- 6 p.m.during the summer months.
- For additional information in Swedish go the next page
Naturhistoriska museet, Goteborg / Natural History Museum of Gothenburg
- The Natural History Museum of Gothenburg, Slottsskogen has a fairly good mineral collection.
- The address is Slottsskogen at Linnéplatsen, Goteborg.
- Phone: +46(0)31 - 775 24 00
Open: Tuesday - Friday 9 a.m. - 16 p.m. , Saturday - Sunday 11 a.m. -1 7 p.m.
Riksmuséet - The Swedish Museum of Natural History.
Open hours at the Swedish Museum of Natural History:
Day Exhibitions Cosmonova** Shop Restaurant Monday Closed Closed Closed Closed Tuesday 10.00 - 18.00 10.00 - 19.00 10.00 - 18.00 10.00 - 19.00 Wednesday Thursday 10.00-20.00 10.00-20.00 10.00-20.00 Friday 10.00-18.00 10.00-18.00 10.00-19.00 Saturday Sunday
* Exceptions may occur due to national holidays.
** Performances start every hour. No admission after the start of a performance.
Department of Mineralogy. The Swedish Museum of Natural History.
- The link above will give you additional information..
- Information: Norbergs Turistbyrå, Engelbrektsgatan 73, 738 31 Norberg. Tel: 0223 - 291 30. Fax 0223 - 291 33.
Paleontological Museum in Uppsala.
- The address is:
- Norbyvägen 22
- S-752 36 Uppsala.
- Open: Monday - Friday
- For entrance fees and visiting hours phone: +46(0)18 - 471 18 39
Porphyry Museum in Älvdalen - Dalarna
- The address:
- Dalgatan 81D
- S-796 30 Alvdalen
- Open all the year.
- Tuesday- Friday 12 a.m. - 17 p.m.
- Saturday 10 a.m.- 15 p.m.
- Sunday 12 a.m.- 15 p.m.
- Monday: closed
- Summer times:
- Week 26 - 32 open daily 10 a.m. -17 p.m..
- For information phone: +46(0)251 - 110 35.
For a presentation in English go through the door
The Porphyry Realm of Älvadeln, Dalarna (Dalecarlia) has also other establishments you should visit such as The New Porphyry Works of Älvdalen in Västermyckleäng, The Western Grindery and the Porphyry Mannorhouse.
Sala Silver Mine.
Sala Silvergruva AB
Dr. Christinas Väg
733 36 SALA
Tel. 0224 - 677 250
Fax 0224 - 195 48.
Opening hours: every day June-August 11-17, September-May 11-16
- A home page in English and in German with some photos is also available.
- A presentation in English is also available if you go through the door
Stengalleri, Risinge, Öland. Rock Gallery in Risinge, Öland.
- The former chief of the department of geological maps of the Swedish Geological Survey has opened a very interesting stone and mineral gallery in Risinge, Öland
- For additional information please phone professor Per H Lundegårdh. +46(0)485 - 402 67.
- For a presentation in Swedish go through the door
- Areskutan (Åreskutan)
A small mineral museum should be at Åreskutan, County of Jämtland. On this mountain you also fins old mines.
For more information, in Swedish, you can visit Åre kommuns home page on Fröå or a link to the Huså village home page with links to the stonemuseum (Sorry does not work).
Alvsborg's Province Museum
ÄLVSBORGS LÄNSMUSEUM, Box 38, SE- 462 21 Vänersborg
Tel: +46- 521- 264000 Fax: + 46- 521- 197 82
History: Date of founding 1860. First specimens received as a gift from the Royal Swedish Academy of Science and Museum of Natural History (Stockholm).
Minor acquisitions until one major donation by Johan Adolf Andersohn 1871 ( and a minor 1875) which even today form the majority (1932 out of 3108 numbers).
Person in charge: Peter Johansson. Minerals: 1850 (approximately), Rocks: 730 (approximately), Fossils: 440 (Approximately) Semi-products:90.
Specialities: The collection is astonishingly well represented with old Austria-Hungarian specimens. 205 from Schlaggenwald, 67 Pribram, 76 Schemnitz (eg 16 amethysts) and 30 Zinnwald specimens. The museum do also have a very fine collection of birds mainly from southwest Africa.
Uses and services: None.
Open to Public: September- May: Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday & Sunday 12-16 hours
June- August: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday & Sunday 12-16 hours
All year according to agreement.
Exhibits: The idea is that it is a "museums"- museum showing how it could look like in the previous century. About 100 specimens are exhibited.
Catalog(s): Full computer cataloged, in Swedish, available on Microsoft Access.